kicking it old skool

random bursts of useless information

Subscribe
May 26, 2010

Summer is go, Part 2

Posted by G-force

I ordered a shed ton of books from Amazon the other day and they arrived in good time, all Adwords and Website usability related. Actually, it was cool that we kept missing the delivery, since the guy down the hall took delivery for me and I had a cool opportunity to catch up with them. I’ve met him and his partner before but this was the first time I was invited in. Well, I invited myself: he mentioned that I should excuse the packaging and mess, but they got a new coffee machine, and I was like “OH can I see it?!” PS: drinking espresso at 21:00 is a bad idea. Cool folks, scheduled a dinner for sometime in June (yes, my calendar is that full).


Since the good weather has rolled in more and more folks have come to use the on-site gym (Annelie and I use it very often) so it’s a good meeting place for the neighbours. It’s always been a peeve of mine on how you life in a block of flats with hundreds of people but never get to meet anyone.



It’s one of these encounters that brought be to the BBQ (ok, it was a braai, but let’s keep it simple) where I met the action star… but more on that later.



I alluded to another event I shot for in my last post. The history of how it came to be is a little quirky, since the events manager already had a photo type person lined up, but they cancelled on her one week before the event. She then offered to job to a friend of mine, who in turn offered it to me, since he “didn’t have the nerves for it”. I thought, ok, odd, what’s the big deal? The big deal was that is was a job shooting for the Lansdowne Club in Mayfair, a very upper class, well established private members club (and, heh heh, just around the corner from the Ritz!). It was a black tie event and a doozy: they where celebrating their 75th Anniversary.



When the “big deal” bit sank in, I have to admit, I was very ready to reply “er, no, I already have plans”. That vice grip on your heart feeling, like when you haven’t studied for an exam, or you just backed your car into a very new, very expensive automobile of the prancing horse variety.



I decided to sleep on it; didn’t no outright, though I was tempted. A quick Google into the club revealed that yeah, they where kind of a big deal… and my pictures will be logged as part of they’re history. Forever. Maybe even longer than that.



On Saturday morning, 1st thing and without thinking and before my morning coffee I replied “yes, I’d be happy to help” and fought my right hand until I hit “send” (little voice in my head screaming NOOOOOOOOOO). Too late now, Bucko, you’d said you’ll do it. That’s something I don’t back out of, my word is my word. Oddly, it’s my biggest selling point. Maybe not odd, but you’d be very surprised what a powerful asset that is and how many photographer gigs I get simply because the other guy didn’t pitch. Are people really this undependable? Yes, is the short answer, and I cash in on that shit. Woody Allan said it best that half of being a success is just showing up. I take that to heart.



So Friday morning, put on my best suit, grabbed all my gear and headed to the day job. After work I made my way to Green Park station (Hello Ritz!) and walked over to the club. They where already way ahead of the preparations with bright balloon archways and delivery people setting up everything from ice sculptures to microphones. I met with Danielle, the event coordinator for the club and had a quick tour of the establishment. Wow! What a beautiful place. The impression of history was palpable; I’d say the Ball Room was most impressive.



With my timings in hand I took my leave to setup and get some quick ideas on how I’m going to shoot this puppy (that sounds wrong!). Group staff picture outside, various artists from a contortionist, singing waiters, an door lady on stilts, big band singers to a Chinese Dragon(!); cutting of the cake, main speech, dancing… got to make sure I hit all the high notes.



First up was taking a picture of the conservatory, filled with plants and a piano at the end. This will be published in the Mayfair Times as an “after” pic, to go with the “before” picture, which was taken 75 years ago. They wanted to create the same era effect, and I think they did so wonderfully. (No pressure Gerry…)



Of course, the theme was the swinging 30’s and most of the guests came out in full force, which made for excellent frames and a lot of fun. In the one room a few studio lighting guys setup a photo booth with what looks like a swarm of paparazzi as a backdrop. Guests would then stand in front of this and have their picture taken which was then worked up into an “OK!” magazine front cover and printed. The contortionist chick raised a few eyebrows, and chasing the Dragon (heh heh heh) through the throng of guests and snapping the interactions was entertaining. Very clever, and the crowd had a lot of fun with it



Having cut my teeth on the Ritz event, I was rocking it out with all sorts of off camera lighting and experimental techniques, rubbing shoulders with upper class society and making friends. Everything was flowing smoothly. The food, the entertainment, the drink, the cake (delicious!), I’d say the whole event was a roaring success.



After I clocked off at 23:00, I had a sit down and finally enjoyed a nice cold glass of Champagne and a hookah pipe (melon flavoured molasses, goes well with the bubbly). I was a good setup, since some guests decided to join me and have a chat. And then this Goth chick, dressed all in black joined me and we ended up chatting till 02:00 in the morning. She was incognito, since she wasn’t really a member but a guest of the hotel (they had a hotel here??) and decided to crash the party. She’s from Pittsburgh PA, and amongst her many talents (fire breathing being one!) she’s also a model. I was invited to her room where she bestowed upon me a mint, 1st edition “Inferno” by Grimms Fairytales comic where she is on the back cover, now signed “to Gerhard, love Cy”. Geeks at comic cons go ape shit for this stuff, and here I just get handed one for free. How cool is that? I had to excuse myself though, since, you know, married... but it was a great evening all said and done, a fitting end.



As always, did a quick turn around on the pics, went out for a drink with Cy and her Pops, a very prominent business man and said my goodbyes.



I was rewarded just last week with a STELLAR testimonial from the club and booked outright for their November Ball (would I need a tux??). Oh, and my pictures will be published in the June issue of the Mayfair times. I’ve also spun a few extra gigs for parties and other events off the back of this, up selling pictures and the like.



The next big thing I really need to get done is my freakin website. There are so many pictures in my portfolio that I can use to massive effect, not just from the last two events, mind. Seems a shame that I don’t use them, and with my new internet marketing chops I think it would be a great sandpit.



Next instalment: information assimilation! Movie Stars! Comedy shows! Beers with David Hobby!



[G], out



Super green

0 comments: